barbour outlet online

Friends Shocked By 16-Year-Old Mansfield Shooter’s Actions

GRAND PRAIRIE (CBSDFW.COM) - Friends of 16-year-old Peyton Barbour are shocked and saddened by his death. Barbour died as he went into surgery at Parkland Hospital Christmas afternoon.

He was shot once by Grand Prairie police, after police said Barbour shot two officers, in the hand and foot.

“It took me a minute to process it and when it hit me, it was just devastating. It was awful,” said Emma Villaire, who lives down the street from Barbour’s family in Mansfield and has known the young man for five years.

“I talked to him two days ago and he seemed fine,” said Villaire.

She and the friends of the popular sophomore at Mansfield Lake Ridge High School said they are wondering what was going on in Barbour’s life that led to his actions on Christmas day.

“He was not a bad kid. He made stupid decisions, he did stupid things, but he was not a bad kid at all,” said another friend, Trevor Stutsman.

Grand Prairie police said around 4:30 a.m. on Christmas, an officer tried to stop Barbour, who was driving a stolen car. Police said the teen took off, and an officer chased him to a field. At that point, police said Barbour fired shots at the officer.

That led to an all-out manhunt for the next ten hours, until a resident in Grand Prairie spotted a suspicious acting teen walking down E. Seeton Road.

When police caught up with Barbour at that location, Grand Prairie police said the teen opened fire on two officers, striking both of them.

Officers from several agencies then cornered Barbour in a field. Police say they told the teen to surrender, but he did not.

Sensing Barbour was headed back into a residential community, police said a Grand Prairie officer then fired a shot, and Barbour fell to the ground.

“There were a good 50 police officers out there. They were taking precautions. You could tell this guy had a gun,” said Steve Cremer, who shot video of the incident from inside his home.